Ashley Furniture is TOXIC

Issue not resolved

Sectional was delivered 1.5 weeks ago.Since then I have experienced nausea, headaches, muscle pain, respiratory distress, and even skin reaction when being in the same room as the sofa.

The sofa initially had a funny smell, it reminded me of a high school science lab. I looked up "formaldehyde sofa" on google and learned that formaldehyde can be used in flame retardants, upholstery, and engineered wood. I looked up symptoms of exposure to formaldehyde and my symptoms are spot on. When I leave the house everything clears up in about 20 minutes and I feel normal.

When I come home I get sick again and feel muddle brained and weak. When I called Ashley they said "it meets government standards", but I'm not sure how that can be since it is making me so terribly sick. Now we are in a pickle because the couch has no return policy unless it is defective. Ashley said it could be considered defective if it is emitting too many fumes, but how could I ever prove that.

The lady on the phone said "you're just having an allergic reaction- if you have an allergic reaction to a cat it doesn't make the cat defective." But I have NEVER had a reaction to any piece of furniture like this EVER IN MY LIFE!!!

And I actually am allergic to cats and I know what that feels like, itchy eyes, runny nose.This is not like an allergy, this is like a toxic shock to my entire system.

d5cff7c review #344534
24 Helpful? 32
Had the same issue12 Comments18 Report
Had an experience with Ashley Furniture?  Submit review about this company

Apr 01

Hi Anonymous in Venice, FL.
I would recommend printing this post (everyone's comments) as well as any other ones you can find online (I'll add a few links here). Demand a refund and threaten to file a law suit if they refuse. If you lose a restocking fee, I'd say that's a small price to pay to get that sofa out of your house. There is a reason cancer and autism are such an epidemic in this country. You don't need a toxic endocrine disrupting piece of furniture outgassing in your house. Get it out whatever it takes! Good luck.
Meadow
Posted on 05/17/10
DO NOT BUY! This furniture is toxic. We ordered a bedroom set and it has been "offgassing" for 2 months with no improvement. We have had the windows open the entire time. The room makes our eyes, nose and throats burn. Someone is supposed to come out to "smell" the furniture but they have not called back. ........... Spend a little more and save yourself from breathing in toxic fermaldahyde and other noxious gasses. The furniture was either composite/compressed wood/particle board. Not real solid wood pieces. We knew it was inexpensive and wasn't as strong, but we had no idea that the finish on it plus the glue would have such a toxic effect. They just picked up the furniture on Friday (May 14th) and after 2 months, the room still smelled. We had to quaranteen the room and sleep elsewhere because it was becoming a health hazzard.
... Show more

Mar 31 Venice, Florida

I purchased a sofa from Ashley furniture and have been itching and have had hives ever since it arrived in my house. Unfortunately, Ashley does not have a refund policy. Every store has a return policy for "in-stock" goods including Rooms to Go. I am so sorry that I purchased a product from this store. The sectional cost me $1700 which is a lot of money and there is no other sofa I want in that store. This is the one I spent a lot of time choosing and I am allergic to it. When I went to the store, the manager suggested that I see a doctor so that he could prescribe me a pill for my allergy. I don't need a pill, I just need them to pick-up the sofa and get it out of my house. Then, my allergy will go away.

aardvark

Mar 21

I bought two Ashley Signature fabric upholstered love seats for our tv room. They had very strong offgassing which I thought would go away after a few days. But 29 days later not much better. This has caused respiratory problems for me and my wife. Decided to call thefurniture store we bought them from. They agreed to take them back and charge a 25% restocking fee or allow full credit on another set(will NOT be Ashley) even though the manager saud he couldn't smell anything(big surprise since he's around that *** every day). Thats better than pitching them out on the street which would have been my only other option. I certainly wouldn't sell them to someone.

Mar 31 Venice, Florida

Thank you for your comments about your problems with the Ashley Sofa. I spoke to the manager today about the fact that I have had hives and itching constantly since the sofa arrived in my home 5 days ago. He told me to see a doctor for a pill to help with the allergy. I couldn't believe it!! I just want the sofa out of house and a refund....not a pill. Did they agree to a higher restocking fee then the 15% instead of a refund? Thank you for your time

sickofmyfurniture

Jan 11

KK, you could also print this thread and bring it to the store. That was ultimately how we got them to take the couch back (less restocking fee and delivery!). I printed out about 20 pages from the internet of people with similar complaints to prove I was not just some overly sensitive cry baby. That actually worked at our store and the guy took the sofa back.

sickofmyfurniture

Jan 11

Really sorry to hear that KK. I always said I wished I'd researched reviews on Ashley furniture before we bought the sectional! My best advice to you would be to call the store ASAP and report the problem. Leave a voice mail if they are not there. Email. Get a record of your complaint. Ask them to take it back right away. Maybe you can get a floor model that has already out-gassed. Or just suck it up and lose the delivery fee and restocking fee. Honestly, we lost delivery both ways and 20% restocking fee, a total of about $500, but it was WORTH IT to get that toxic couch out of our home. Think of all those endocrine disruptors reeking havoc on your hormones. And the toxic cancer causing chemicals. Just do whatever you can to get it out of your house as fast as possible. You will feel better right away, I'm sure. Good luck!

KK

Jan 11 Woodland Hills, California

I am having many of the same issues since my Ashley couch set was delivered this morning. Feeling very ill, dizzy, nauseous, with a massive migraine. Never experienced such a reaction to furniture before either.

Smellyfurniture

Nov 05, 2013

We're having this same issue with a brown leather sectional we bought a week ago! The smell is so strong and overpowering. Talked to customer service and a store manager and was told they'll switch it out. I don't want to just switch it out. I want a completely different sofa b/c I'm afraid it will be the same issue if we get the same sofa. We have lots of other Ashley furniture and haven't had this problem before. Hopefully they'll work with us!

Nov 06, 2013

If you look up leather sofa smell allergic reaction on google you're going to find a whole host of problems and lawsuits associated w/ insecticide packets in the cushions. I would recommend NOT getting the sofa replaced w/ another leather sofa. The leather sofas seem to be even more problematic than fabric, from what I've read online. Good luck!

Jason

Sep 20, 2013 San Jose, San Jose

we experienced same awful things after buying the Ashley sofa and dresser.
We made the order beginning of Jul, 2013, and it delivered at 23nd of Aug (long waiting time); When it was deliverd, it was placed in the family room, we kept all the windows open but still very strong smells coming out of the fabric. My wife was pregnant (7 months) and felt sick once she went to the family room. She throat up two or three times after being staying the room for about 20 minutes. (She is ok after leaving the room for about 15 minutes). Now another one month passed, the sofa emit strong smells that make my wife sick.

I called Ashley and they sent one technican to investigate that. the technican wrote "the Customer states there was strong odor ...." and he agreed that there was strong smells when he was in my home. but after one week when I called the customer service of Ashley, they told me the technican said it was not smells so no returns.....

Since delivery, our neighbours came to my home and each time comments the strong smells of the sofa. we moved the sofa to the garage and use the big fan to blow it days and night...

it is such bad experience of this purchase in Ashley and we can not use the furnitures after 2.5 months we paid it (one months after delivery).

Sep 20, 2013

Hi Jason, very sorry to hear of your experience, and especially the effect on your wife. She'll be more sensitive to the chemicals while pregnant, but even later, if she is not as sensitive, the furniture will still be out gassing toxic endocrine disrupting chemicals. Better to take a financial loss on the furniture than expose your new born to this. Not sure what other solution there is. We were eventually able to return our sofa less delivery costs and restocking fee. We took about a $600 loss. But I cannot tell you how much better I felt when that science experiment was finally out of our house! Good luck to you. This happens so often someone should file a class action suit

Mar 31 Venice, Florida

Let me know if you want to file a suit. I am all in. They made fun of me when I went to complain at the store about my allergic reaction to the sofa.

SickofMyFurniture

Aug 13, 2013

Sorry to hear about your experience Joe. I hope you are able to get rid of that sofa and start feeling better soon. Someone should file a class action lawsuit against Ashley. Despicable company. --

Joe

Aug 13, 2013 Las Vegas, Nevada

We bought a new so called leather sectional Super Bowl Sunday. Since then ive had exactly the same issues, but we figured allergies or pneumonia. Been treated four times since for pnuemonia. Not thinking that a brand new sectional woukd make me so sick, we looked past it. Ive spent a huge amount of money on cleaning and new carpets and cchanged everything about my life, over a flippiin cheap made Ashley Formaldahyde soaked leather sponge.

just me

Jan 29, 2013

I have purchased new furniture from Ashley back in the spring of 2012 and again in December 2012. Besides the worst customer service i've ever experienced, the formaldehyde odor is awful and causing health problems. During this same time, we renovated our basement (Nov-Dec2012) and my office building was "renovated". We moved back into the building in Sept 2012 and I have missed 9 days (3 for severe laryngitis, 6 for insane sinus infection) of work since our return to the new building. I now try to stay away from the renovated building but when I spend more than an hour, the sore throat, stuffy and painful nose, skin rash and tightening of the chest return. I feel your pain and I suggest that you do your best to ventilate the area as best you can.

Nov 05, 2012

I'm not aware of seeing the shiny substance, but your symptoms mirror ours. I had a feeling of fiberglass in my lungs- that's the only way I can describe it, as if my lungs were filled with a very rough cotton or fiberglass insulation. That lasted the entire time the sectional was in the house. I also had neurological symptoms that ranged from headaches, nausea, and muscle pain to difficulty concentrating/ thinking (as if I was on drugs or something) to blurred vision. Again, every time I left the house, I would get better, only to become sick again upon returning. When the sectional was finally picked up, there were two other adults in the house with me at the time. Both said as the cushions were lifted off the couch that their throats began to burn and they began to develop headaches, so while I may have been the most sensitive, I was not the only one to detect this. And then there was my daughter's hospitalization. She was struggling so much to breathe, they put her on magnesium sulfate, which apparently is a last resort type of protocol. I cannot believe how desperate the situation became. This deserves a class action law suit. Do you have any interest in rounding up the 20 or 30 other posters who have complained about the same problem and hiring a lawyer? I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of others affected, who perhaps have just not posted online.

Joe

Aug 13, 2013 Las Vegas, Nevada

I have made my own comment as above. I have Cystic Fibrosis, and after struggking now for six months of meds,hours missed at work,money spent on what was supposed to make me feel better,and now being immuned to antibiotics becuz they were treating me for pneumonia and not this poison. I now suffer pulminary edem,I have trouble sleeoing,walking,excercise and health is in the toilet. I went from an athletic 165, to a sickly 140 in 7 months due to this probkem with Ashley.

Sep 24, 2012

Follow-up: Got the store to agree to take the sectional back, less 20% restocking fee and delivery in both directions. But not soon enough. My toddler wound up in the ER and then hospitalized with acute respiratory distress. She was not sick. The doctors are saying it was an "environmental trigger". 2.5 years old and her respiration was like 74 breaths a minute, heart rate over 200, oxygen saturation below 93%. Now that the couch is gone we are all feeling better, but this is CRIMINAL! No one should be able to sell furniture that is toxic and dangerous. Not only are we out nearly $500 in restocking fees and wasted delivery fees, but 2 weeks of pretty severe suffering, and worst of all, my baby hospitalized. It is just an outrage.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.