Ashley Furniture is TOXIC

Sectional was delivered 1.5 weeks ago.Since then I have experienced nausea, headaches, muscle pain, respiratory distress, and even skin reaction when being in the same room as the sofa.

The sofa initially had a funny smell, it reminded me of a high school science lab. I looked up "formaldehyde sofa" on google and learned that formaldehyde can be used in flame retardants, upholstery, and engineered wood. I looked up symptoms of exposure to formaldehyde and my symptoms are spot on. When I leave the house everything clears up in about 20 minutes and I feel normal.

When I come home I get sick again and feel muddle brained and weak. When I called Ashley they said "it meets government standards", but I'm not sure how that can be since it is making me so terribly sick. Now we are in a pickle because the couch has no return policy unless it is defective. Ashley said it could be considered defective if it is emitting too many fumes, but how could I ever prove that.

The lady on the phone said "you're just having an allergic reaction- if you have an allergic reaction to a cat it doesn't make the cat defective." But I have NEVER had a reaction to any piece of furniture like this EVER IN MY LIFE!!!

And I actually am allergic to cats and I know what that feels like, itchy eyes, runny nose.This is not like an allergy, this is like a toxic shock to my entire system.

More Review Details

Helpful? 32 Yes 32 33 No 33
Had the same issue 42 Yes 42
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 28 #1040373

I purchase several sets of Ashley furniture too and have the same issue. They smell bad even though I keep opening my windows most of the time to ensure air ventilation for about a year. Yesterday I just put a formaldehyde testing kit in one of the drawer of my set of alisdair, and it indicats that the formaldehyde concentration is FIVE times higher than the legitimate level (0.5mg/cubic) meter!

5 0 Reply
Toxic Ashley

Sep 07 #1030988 Redding, California

It's apparent that this site may be controlled by those affiliated with Ashley in some way, interesting to see comments posted that have been altered and or deleted!!

3 0 Reply

Aug 11 #1018506

I purchased the ashley heflin ebony sofa loveseat and two ottoman about two weeks ago- getting ready for football season. I love the look and feel of these pieces. I'm getting concerned that the fumes from the furniture off gassing are not going away. I hope it goes away because I love the furniture. I purchased the furniture from a local furniture store and they ordered it and I don't have any problem with the store or delivery guys it's not their fault. We will see how it goes.

0 0 Reply

Jul 11 #1006185

You are right. we purchase two night stands, one king size bed and one 5 drawers chest. Now after almost 4 months there are still strong smell in the room. We have to lock up the room.

Toxic couch recipient

May 10 #982186

Thanks for posting this. You're right. Very toxic. Just bought one of their couches and the smell is unbearable. The manager of the store is willing to take it back but says he's never received a complaint like this.

Apr 14 #971594 Hobbs, New Mexico

I just bought furniture smells so bad like chemicals scared to sit on it felling sick

3 0 Reply

Apr 04 #967694 Danville, Virginia

Just received a wide recliner and have been itching horribly and breaking out in welts....thanks for clearing up the issue

Mar 07 #955180

Hi Everyone- today Ashley furniture made an announcement:
Not sure if it's the flame retardants or something else we were all reacting to. I hope this news sets a precedent in the furniture industry.

4 0 Reply

Feb 17 #947259 Winchester, Virginia

I am having the same problem with my living room suit. It has caused rashes, headaches, and breathing problems. My family won't wven sit on the furniture anymore.
I am lost.

5 0 Reply

Feb 18 #947397 Pennsylvania, United States

I'm so sorry Dianna. Please print all the comments on this forum and take them to the supervisor/ manager at your store and demand the furniture be taken back. Even if they charge a restocking fee, it's worth it to get it out of your house and feel healthy again. Good luck!

Apr 01, 2014 #800857

Hi Anonymous in Venice, FL.
I would recommend printing this post (everyone's comments) as well as any other ones you can find online (I'll add a few links here). Demand a refund and threaten to file a law suit if they refuse. If you lose a restocking fee, I'd say that's a small price to pay to get that sofa out of your house. There is a reason cancer and autism are such an epidemic in this country. You don't need a toxic endocrine disrupting piece of furniture outgassing in your house. Get it out whatever it takes! Good luck.
Posted on 05/17/10
DO NOT BUY! This furniture is toxic. We ordered a bedroom set and it has been "offgassing" for 2 months with no improvement. We have had the windows open the entire time. The room makes our eyes, nose and throats burn. Someone is supposed to come out to "smell" the furniture but they have not called back. ........... Spend a little more and save yourself from breathing in toxic fermaldahyde and other noxious gasses. The furniture was either composite/compressed wood/particle board. Not real solid wood pieces. We knew it was inexpensive and wasn't as strong, but we had no idea that the finish on it plus the glue would have such a toxic effect. They just picked up the furniture on Friday (May 14th) and after 2 months, the room still smelled. We had to quaranteen the room and sleep elsewhere because it was becoming a health hazzard.
... Show more

Mar 31, 2014 #800748 Venice, Florida

I purchased a sofa from Ashley furniture and have been itching and have had hives ever since it arrived in my house. Unfortunately, Ashley does not have a refund policy. Every store has a return policy for "in-stock" goods including Rooms to Go. I am so sorry that I purchased a product from this store. The sectional cost me $1700 which is a lot of money and there is no other sofa I want in that store. This is the one I spent a lot of time choosing and I am allergic to it. When I went to the store, the manager suggested that I see a doctor so that he could prescribe me a pill for my allergy. I don't need a pill, I just need them to pick-up the sofa and get it out of my house. Then, my allergy will go away.

0 0 Reply

Mar 21, 2014 #797467

I bought two Ashley Signature fabric upholstered love seats for our tv room. They had very strong offgassing which I thought would go away after a few days. But 29 days later not much better. This has caused respiratory problems for me and my wife. Decided to call thefurniture store we bought them from. They agreed to take them back and charge a 25% restocking fee or allow full credit on another set(will NOT be Ashley) even though the manager saud he couldn't smell anything(big surprise since he's around that *** every day). Thats better than pitching them out on the street which would have been my only other option. I certainly wouldn't sell them to someone.

Mar 31, 2014 #800749 Venice, Florida

Thank you for your comments about your problems with the Ashley Sofa. I spoke to the manager today about the fact that I have had hives and itching constantly since the sofa arrived in my home 5 days ago. He told me to see a doctor for a pill to help with the allergy. I couldn't believe it!! I just want the sofa out of house and a refund....not a pill. Did they agree to a higher restocking fee then the 15% instead of a refund? Thank you for your time

Toxic Ashley

Sep 01 #1028258

I have the same issues with low quality Ashley products! I'm in the beginning stages of what I can do as I am NOT living with this furniture! As of now, the typical Ashley "run around" is in process! You shouldn't have to "cover, take pills" or anything else with any furniture, especially "new" furniture to sit on it! Once bit twice shy Ashley! Never will I buy Ashley again!

Jan 11, 2014 #772175

KK, you could also print this thread and bring it to the store. That was ultimately how we got them to take the couch back (less restocking fee and delivery!). I printed out about 20 pages from the internet of people with similar complaints to prove I was not just some overly sensitive cry baby. That actually worked at our store and the guy took the sofa back.

Jan 11, 2014 #772174

Really sorry to hear that KK. I always said I wished I'd researched reviews on Ashley furniture before we bought the sectional! My best advice to you would be to call the store ASAP and report the problem. Leave a voice mail if they are not there. Email. Get a record of your complaint. Ask them to take it back right away. Maybe you can get a floor model that has already out-gassed. Or just suck it up and lose the delivery fee and restocking fee. Honestly, we lost delivery both ways and 20% restocking fee, a total of about $500, but it was WORTH IT to get that toxic couch out of our home. Think of all those endocrine disruptors reeking havoc on your hormones. And the toxic cancer causing chemicals. Just do whatever you can to get it out of your house as fast as possible. You will feel better right away, I'm sure. Good luck!

Jan 11, 2014 #772165 Woodland Hills, California

I am having many of the same issues since my Ashley couch set was delivered this morning. Feeling very ill, dizzy, nauseous, with a massive migraine. Never experienced such a reaction to furniture before either.

Nov 05, 2013 #738383

We're having this same issue with a brown leather sectional we bought a week ago! The smell is so strong and overpowering. Talked to customer service and a store manager and was told they'll switch it out. I don't want to just switch it out. I want a completely different sofa b/c I'm afraid it will be the same issue if we get the same sofa. We have lots of other Ashley furniture and haven't had this problem before. Hopefully they'll work with us!

Nov 06, 2013 #738514

If you look up leather sofa smell allergic reaction on google you're going to find a whole host of problems and lawsuits associated w/ insecticide packets in the cushions. I would recommend NOT getting the sofa replaced w/ another leather sofa. The leather sofas seem to be even more problematic than fabric, from what I've read online. Good luck!

1-20 of 33 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.