Ashley Furniture Sucks-Class Action Lawsuit For Defective Furniture

We purchased the San Marco sectional model/sku # 163-324-2 and 163-324-3 for $1483.90 cash from the General Manager Andrew Lee on February 28, 2009.In less than 30 days the couch seat cushions have sagged.

The cushions do not recoil or return to normal position once we get up. While sitting we can feel the railing in the couch. We called Ashley Furniture on March 29, 2009 they referred us to their customer service because once a customer purchases a product they no longer have anything to do with any issues with that product. We immediately called customer and explained the issues, a tech was scheduled to come out on April 7, 2009.

The service tech came out on April 7, his findings were the couch is defective. The customer service rep he reported to (Sandra D.) gave him and us a hard time when we spoke with her. She told us the couch is not defective it's the way we are sitting on the couch. There's only one way to sit on a couch.

Ashley Furniture is unwilling to allow us to select a different couch; we no longer trust the San Marco model based on this experience, however the lead customer service rep is willing to allow us to select a different couch as long a we pay a restocking fee of $150.Why should customers have to pay restocking fee to select a different couch when the first couch was deem defective!

More Review Details

Helpful? 11 Yes 11 5 No 5
Had the same issue 7 Yes 7
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 21 #1022655

Folks who are having issues....Go to Ashleys Twitter page and be heard! I am sorry but I still dont understand how they get by with this w so many complaints. I can tell you I have stopped several people from shopping there after they seen my furniture! Be heard everyday 20 times a day. Do it in a legal way but let them know your angry. Let them know their policies are jacked up and they are wrong for doing people this way.

Aug 21 #1022654

i was told by Ashley today that they have not gotten enough complaints on the DuraBlend material to warrant taking it out of their stores. please email any pictures of your "peeling" sofa to:

Aug 21 #1022660

Oh they have had enough complaints. Because the warehouse guy told me they had. Mine wasnt durablend it was real leather and falling apart. Their quality is rotten!!!!! I had to fight them but I was not backing down because they are wrong to do people this way. After months and numerous photos and tweets. I got full reimbursement. They may tell u they cant.....but dont back down when you know your right. These couches are horrible. I ended up just going to big lots. Paying cash for a cheap set. Its not ripping. Lol. I really thought with Ashleys I was getting a top of the line brand.....worst furniture I had ever bought. Now any furniture store I go in I make sure they dont show me any Ashleys product. The quality is not there and neither is the customer service!

Aug 21 #1022652 Greenbrier, Arkansas

Dont pay a restocking fee. Hang in there. Take the loss and let social media hear your voice! Twitter is a real good place. I was willing to take a loss but I was not willing to let them to get away w what they are doing to people.
Contact them on twitter. Over and over. Let your voice be heard. Do it legally ofcourse. However, they have got to QC their furniture better or quit using cheap stuff. They ended up crediting the full amount for mine after months and months of going at it. I was not going to back down when I could prove tht defective. So I did. Hang in there! I would not pay a restock fee. No way! They are taking peoples money left and right and it is not ok! Good Luck!!!!

upset with Ashley

Aug 21 #1022649 Indianapolis, Indiana

Aug 21 #1022664

They would tell me there is nothing they can do. They would tell me they have hardly had any dissatisfied customers. I wasnt accepting that. I knew what I bought was defective and I proved it. I went to twitter 20 times a day 7 days a week. They read them. They called me out on it. I was not going to keep making payments on 4,000 worth of furniture that was falling apart before my eyes! I was angry and felt scammed. Time after time they would tell me they werent gonna do anything. Or they would fix it by taking the whole couch apart. Getting nowhere, I agreed to let them fix it. Well they sent the leather to my house piece by piece in a cheap bag that had rips in it. When I took the piece out and seen two holes punched and a piece of thread...I knew....I was gonna win this war. People I fought, tweeted, went to an attorney, then marched my hiney right into the store. Ashleys furniture store is protected when it comes to the law. However, consumers have a voice. I used mine. I was not going to accept what they had to offer which was nothing.
I am free and clear of his sectional set and I am sooo glad.
Maybe they wanted rid of me as much as I wanted rid of them!!!!

May 14 #984486

I also have peeling problem too much money for the couch too fall apart that soon they don't want to fix it

Apr 07 #968922 Springdale, Arkansas

I am having the same issue. My durabond furniture falling apart after a year and 5 months. Ashley's runs bcause it is over the one year warranty. I have montage tht will cover it if you do damage to it yourself. The issue is even if you do get it fixed the material is so defective it will continue doing the same thing. This company needs to be stopped.I am looking into a clash action civil suit and praying I find answers.

Jan 22 #934724 Bonita Springs, Florida

The remedy to all of this complaints, is to file a small claims actions against the sales person, the company and the owner.. certainly the legal fees to preclude any of the aforementioned from the action will be more expensive than hassling the customer...simple remedy

Jan 21 #934393 Gonzales, Louisiana

I have the same problem with my soffa . I bought the extended warranty talked to the Maniger he said he would send Someone over have not heard from him .My soffa is three years old but I stay with my girlfriend . I only stay here when we are not gettin along . I live across the street from the store. We need to start a class action sute

Apr 04 #967942 Quitman, Arkansas

Count me in for a Class Action Lawsuit. My sofa is peeling and ripping apart. I have had it a year and 5 months! Something needs to be done to protect consumers this is a joke! They will not own up to it. They have just kept jerking me around and then tell me this is normal for the white cotton to show through. We need to find a good lawyer to take this on and consumers ban together. All I want is for them to do the right thing!

Aug 04, 2014 #851371 Harlingen, Texas

Unbelievable bought a sofa and love seat and been having issues since with theelectronic components their furniture and customer service sucks. I asked to speak to the store manager and is always in a meeting. I want to return in or exchange it and they don't let me they offered me a one hundred dollar gift certificate I said no.
If there is a class action law suit I want to know because this is not acceptable .

Aug 04, 2014 #851375 Harlingen, Texas

My email is
Thank you ...

Jul 07, 2014 #837007

Same exact issue here. Same exact model couch. Very annoyed.

Los Angeles

Apr 10, 2014 #804057

I am dealing with a similar issue as many of you have mentioned. I purchased a 5 year warranty through Guardsman which is a complete scam. When I purchased the furniture the salesman told me that this extended warranty covered "any and every" problem I might have. When I went to use it for a rip and cracking in the leather, my claim was denied. I've taken this to the Bureau of Consumer Protection and am going to squash Ashley Furniture for selling me bad furniture and lying to me about the warranty that I "had to have." Everyone please file your claims with the FTC and put these people in check.

Ripped Off

Mar 09, 2014 #792806

What a nightmare this has turned out from when we walked out of the San Diego Miramar Ashley Furniture store on February 12, 2014 feeling so happy and excited about getting what we thought was quality furniture with a great warranty. Due to my husband's work related travel schedule, we decided to have the sectional that we purchased delivered on March 7th but unfortunately my husband was not able to be home that day after all so I was left to deal with the delivery. The delivery guys arrived on time but instead of parking in our driveway, they parked on the street near our three way intersection. After I showed them where to set up the sectional, the two delivery guys raced to and from the truck like bats out of ***. They dumped the left arm sectional on the street behind the truck while they assembled the rest in the house and didn't bother to move it off the street even though drivers were honking their horns and yelling at them. Then to make matters worse, an obnoxious neighbor we don't even know suddenly showed up requesting their assistance to help him lift something heavy which added to the confusion. When I walked out my door, one of the delivery guys shoved a tablet at me and told me to sign that everything was ok and once I did he rushed to the truck to go help the neighbor. When I walked back into the house I saw that one of the back cushions had been sewn on crooked so the top is not aligned straight with the top of other cushions. I notified my husband right... Show more

3 0 Reply

Dec 15, 2013 #758751 Tampa, Florida

I bought my 2 sofas in 2010 & with a 1 1/2 years they started peeling & the boards & springs are popping out of the bottom. I bought a warranty they refused to let me use it saying the "defected" sofas were not accidently damaged. So I told them my son flopped down on the sofa & now they are ripped up the supervisor actually laughed at me told me I was crazy. I have started going to their Facebook site page posting pictures of both my sofas to be told to call customer service. Well customer service contacted me which did no good cause the same supervisor that laughed at me was the one that called me. I spent $1500 on these sofas they even lied to me that I bought leather & all it is is a thin layer of plastic to look leather. There has to be some kind of Class Action Lawsuit all of us can get together to get our money back. I wish I knew how to get this started or if there is one I'd like to join. No one should have to go through what all of us have gone through. They are still selling this same furniture & others are going to have their money stolen which is not fair.

Sep 09, 2013 #714279 South Bend, Indiana

I had same experience with couch and loveseat I got from them. Terrible quality can feel the springs and no recoil to the cushions. Also bought 2 end tables and the one I use the most the finish is just peeling up all over the place after have less than a year and I was meticulous about using coasters. I will never buy from them again.

Dec 30, 2011 #400185

I have been fighting with this company since oct 2011. Today Dec.30'2011 I am still at battle with them. I purchased 4,200. dollars worth of their JUNK. And no one will return calls, or even offer to make good the warranty. The Chest we bought arrived broken, still sitting where the delivery people left it. The recliners are breaking down, at only one months use. The"leather" furniture is JUNK. this is the worse furniture I have ever seen in my life. Someone needs to be accountable to all of these complaints..please forward any advice.

carolyn ayers

Nov 01, 2011 #367621

I bought a set of living room furniture from ashley furniture a year ago. Its has the thinest fabric I have seen. This pile of junk should not be allowed on a piece of furniture. Thumbs down on ashley furniture.

1-20 of 35 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.