Peeling Leather Sofa from Ashley Furniture

We purchased a leather sofa and love seat from Ashley Furniture,Springdale, OH in November 2008.I have paid around $1000 for these.It has not been 3 years since our purchase and the leather has started peeling off.

We called up the customer service and were told that the warranty has expired and hence they cannot do anything about it.They told that I need to get it repaired at my own cost. When we bought the furniture, we selected Ashley because they claim to have excellent quality.

They were not even bothered about getting it repaired even when I told that I would take care of the repair costs.I must say that their quality is worse and I would not recommend anyone to buy furniture from their store.I have never seen a good quality leather sofa getting ripped off within 3 years of purchase.It is really frustrating!

More Review Details

Helpful? 44 Yes 44 9 No 9
Had the same issue 50 Yes 50
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 27 #1039923

Same thing....4 years later! The tear on my sofa started out small and kept spreading despite having put a furniture throw over the area to protect it until the tech from the additional Guardsman warranty I purchased could repair it. Well needless to say, he said peeling fabric could not be repaired on this type leather (and that's a joke in and of itself). He said he would submit the claim & picture to Guardsman. Heard from Guardsman and this is another joke, they said it wasn't covered because it was more than 2 inches from the seam....and in the picture you can clearly see it is adjacent to the seam, actually practically on the seam!
Ashley would do nothing about it so I would advise being very careful buying furniture from dealers who do not stand behind their merchandise with or without an additional warranty service plan. Also beware of additional warranty plans that cost extra and give you nothing in return.

Aug 31 #1027751

I also purchased a couch with the Durablend leather and it is approximately eight years old now and is ruined because the material is all but gone. It separated from the backing in sheets.

Aug 03 #1015244

I have a similar problem. Pilling off blended leather sofa, love seats, and recliners. I paid close to 2600$ for Sofa, loveseats, reclines chairs, sectional all from Ashley furniture plus paid warranty plan for four years $359.99 in 2012. My warranty is not expired but they says it is not covered under warranty but if you have any cut or something then it’s covered. Basically if you cut with knife then it’s covered under warranty but not this damage.....Ridiculous never trust Ashley furniture....

Mar 11 #957028 Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Yeah, umm genuine 100% leather sofa's start around $2000 per piece, "blended" leather{sofa&loveseat/chair) sets can be had for much less, usually around 1k. If you didn't know what you were buying perhaps you should've done some research before selecting a durablend sofa. Irregardless, Ashley sells the material to replace your damaged areas. The seats (cushion covers) are usually about $50, and the arms / back replacement material are generally no more than $100 for durablend material.

4 0 Reply

Dec 17, 2014 #917473

Same with mine and it's only been a year!!
I am so disappointed!

Dec 16, 2014 #916677 Mountain View, California

From what i see in one of the photos thats damage that was obviously done by tge owner of the funiture. That one spot is obviously a slash from a sharp edged object. How is that the furniture companys fault?

3 3 Reply
p.o.s durablend

Jan 31 #939251 Atlanta, Georgia

I have the what looks to be the same couch, in a room that is hardly used. Our couch is worse than this and is app. 4 years old! Will never by from Ashley again!

2 2 Reply

Jul 20 #1009738

I have the same couch and it's not from the owner!

Oct 11, 2014 #883214

I agree with you about having horrible quality!!! And the WORST customer service I've ever seen!

Frankie B

Oct 05, 2014 #880294 Grand Rapids, Michigan

Its your fault for only spending 1k on a leather couch. of course its not made of real genuine leather! What did you expect to happen in a few years?

7 3 Reply

Nov 17, 2014 #901528 Raleigh, North Carolina

Correction: she paid $1000 for the couch AND love seat. I love it when people buy cheap *** and expect it to last forever. I buy cheap furniture because I have kids and I know that whatever I buy will be stained and very worn within a few years, so I don't need or expect it to last a long time. But when my parenting sentence is finally up, I will buy furniture that is made to last. And I know there's no way that a one-thousand-dollar set of ANY kind will suit my needs when that time comes.

5 3 Reply

Nov 26, 2014 #906516 Little Rock, Arkansas

Yall have got so used to being charged *** amounts for things, that you have begun to believe that paying ridiculous sums for furniture is the only way? a 100sq foot of actual cowhide's somewhere in the range of 250USD (retail). The only reason ppl are willing to pay 1000s more for real leather is the bragging rights which is what companies bank on. This kind of bad quality IS a ripoff and only justified because ppl condone it.

4 3 Reply

Feb 13, 2014 #785053

We have the exact couch and the exact problem, only our peeling areas are a lot worse. Wish there was a way to repair it but now we're going to have to figure out how to get rid of it. Never buying from Ashley again.

4 1 Reply
Fake Leather

Feb 11, 2014 #784157

My Ashley POS couch lasted about a year and a half...had to pay someone to haul it away. Screw Ashley.

3 1 Reply
Heather J

Jul 01, 2013 #672537 Joelton, Tennessee

This is happening to our sofa and's so gross, like little pieces of skin falling off of it. I called customer service and was told I obviously kept the couch over a heat register and didn't take care of it like I was supposed to. Very very rude! We will never buy from Ashley again! :(

2 1 Reply

Dec 28, 2012 #587086 Glendale, California

has anyone gotten any help on this matter? Mine just started peeling after exactly 3 years! so annoying!

Scammed Customer

Nov 22, 2012 #572467

Yep, our Ashley sofa and love seats are falling apart too. Had other furniture recovered at the exact same time we purchased the Ashley couches. Our other sofa and chair look like new....Ashley *** is peeling, peeling, peeling!!!

2 0 Reply
Deb, Grand Junction, Co store

Sep 27, 2012 #547546

We bought 3 pieces of leather furniture during their sale. Big mistake! Even though it was a good price, furniture should last longer then 3 yrs. I am ready to put a free sign on it at the end of my drive or have the junk man haul it away. The color has come off with a lot of cracking. Spend the extra to get better quality. I might buy a lamp or rug from them but no more furniture. Very disappointed.

2 0 Reply

Sep 22, 2012 #545663

Same here bought recliner and sectional just over a year (leather) is peeling they just give your a runaround I have heard if you go to small claims court you get some action!

2 1 Reply

Apr 18, 2012 #468151

I bought a leather sectional sofa from Ashley approx 2 years ago, even bought the extended warranty. About 4 months ago the leather started cracking. I filed a claim with the warranty company (Ashley doesn't do their own warranty claims) and after several rounds with them the claim was denied. I was told this is normal wear and tear. Won't ever buy from Ashley again.

3 2 Reply

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.