Fanwood, New Jersey
10.6K views

Sectional was delivered 1.5 weeks ago. Since then I have experienced nausea, headaches, muscle pain, respiratory distress, and even skin reaction when being in the same room as the sofa.

The sofa initially had a funny smell, it reminded me of a high school science lab. I looked up "formaldehyde sofa" on google and learned that formaldehyde can be used in flame retardants, upholstery, and engineered wood. I looked up symptoms of exposure to formaldehyde and my symptoms are spot on. When I leave the house everything clears up in about 20 minutes and I feel normal.

When I come home I get sick again and feel muddle brained and weak. When I called Ashley they said "it meets government standards", but I'm not sure how that can be since it is making me so terribly sick. Now we are in a pickle because the couch has no return policy unless it is defective. Ashley said it could be considered defective if it is emitting too many fumes, but how could I ever prove that.

The lady on the phone said "you're just having an allergic reaction- if you have an allergic reaction to a cat it doesn't make the cat defective." But I have NEVER had a reaction to any piece of furniture like this EVER IN MY LIFE!!!

And I actually am allergic to cats and I know what that feels like, itchy eyes, runny nose. This is not like an allergy, this is like a toxic shock to my entire system.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ashley Furniture Sofa.

Comments

i got a lift chair and the first one broke after 6 wks. they replaced with a like one and this one smells awful!!!!

Hebert

How is Ashley Furniture still in business?

My Ashley sofa making me and my dog sick!

Geanie

I just received my sectional today I pray I don’t have this issue

I am having similar problems with a recliner I bought from Ashley furniture— the toxic smell is giving me a headache, breathing problems, nausea. They sent a “technician “ who smelled the chair, turned it upside down looked inside said he would file a report and left.

I got a phone call yesterday from Ashley telling me the technician’s report said the chair is “up to code” and they will not take it back. I further complained and she said someone from the store will call me. The person from the store offered to let me exchange the chair for the same price. And to come in and choose something else, but I will have to pay for delivery again!!

Another $80 added on to the$800 I have already paid. It’s not my fault their furniture is toxic! I have heart failure and a pacemaker. I had heart surgery for valve replacement about a year and a half ago and th breathing problem from those fumes can be detrimental to me.

When I told the person who called me from the store that, she just snickered.

I don’t know what to do, I am not going to pay them another penny for something that is their responsibility. They need to take this garbage chair back!!

Jung
#1719569

I am having same issues with my Ashley sectional uncontrollable itching headaches etc

Dinning room table arrived with black stains. One of the 6 chairs was missing hardware to attach.

Chris Patton in sales entered the wrong address and customer number at the *** GA store which has caused all kinds of problems.

Now customer service is telling me 2 months before someone can even look at the problem! Shop somewhere else.

Wow, no words for that lady's response. Any reputable company would have taken it back no problem.

I had the Ashley Matinee chair it was beautiful and so comfy I loved it after a few days I started to have terrible hives spreading on my body the worst were on all the places my skin touch the chair. One side of my body was worst than the other because I had a throw one the one side.

I was actually sitting in the chair when I figured this out because everywhere my skin was touching was were I had this bad breakout.

I only had the chair for a week so they took it back and offered me the Composer instead. The fabric composition is a bit different so I hope I don't have the same reaction like I did with the durablend chair

I purchased a sofa and recliner from Ashley a month ago. When my son started sitting on it, he started itching and broke out in a terrible rash.

I've already had a hard time with them in delivering. The receptionist lied about my change of address I gave her. Anyway, that's another story. I'm going to call and see what they say about this furniture.

They are not helpful at all. I guess they reel you in with pretty furniture, because they are not friendly AT ALL!!

#1651919

I have a new sofa and it stinks. The smell is beyond overwhelming, has given me headaches, I had to use my inhaler and not even putting a blanket on the sofa helps.

I’m calling them tomorrow. I have had the sofa for just one week. I also purchased four dining room chairs and they are fine.

They are leather though. The sofa is comfortable, but the smell is killing me.

Exactly same thing is happening to me and my family. My nose and skin irritate a lot.

Same problem

my wife is having the same issues! we just purchased a fabric love seat with console nov 2018. same deal ashly wont exchange etc

@gdrew

I’m so sorry. Print out all the comments here.

Take to manager. Threaten to file w/ BBB unless they take it back.

Ever since we got our sectional my husband has been having issues. Eyes swelled, hives. We went away for week vacation, all problems went away, we covered up couch all problems went away.

I am having the same problem with Ashley Furniture Dura-leather couch.

I am allergic to a chair I bought from them, but this is more like Hives. Every time I sit in it I get bumps that itch terribly on my elbows mostly and some on the back of the legs. I heard about some spray that china uses that people can be allergic to.

Tried to get info on dining table warranty, could not get anyway to get to contact Them. I just wanted information, We have flaws on Our table, and wanted to contact someone, but there is no way to reach anyone. We did have a warranty, but I guess is worthless!!

I bought a new sofa but from a Canadian furniture company. It has an awful smell that just doesn't go away.

I can't sit near the arms because it seems to be concentrated in those parts. It reminds me of stinky feet. Like some toenail fungus or even like animal urine. Please, what is that?

Is that the smell of formaldehyde? I was not expecting this for a Canadian company since furniture is not transported overseas, so no chemicals needed. I read on another site a description of new sofa can be like pungent pickles and nasty odors. Yes that can be my sofa smell too like pickles- I guess that is fermented so close to toenail fungus.

I tried steam ironing the arms but the smell came back. I hate my sofa and I paid more than a $1000.

Ashley Furniture Reviews