Fanwood, New Jersey
7.1K views

Sectional was delivered 1.5 weeks ago.Since then I have experienced nausea, headaches, muscle pain, respiratory distress, and even skin reaction when being in the same room as the sofa.

The sofa initially had a funny smell, it reminded me of a high school science lab. I looked up "formaldehyde sofa" on google and learned that formaldehyde can be used in flame retardants, upholstery, and engineered wood. I looked up symptoms of exposure to formaldehyde and my symptoms are spot on. When I leave the house everything clears up in about 20 minutes and I feel normal.

When I come home I get sick again and feel muddle brained and weak. When I called Ashley they said "it meets government standards", but I'm not sure how that can be since it is making me so terribly sick. Now we are in a pickle because the couch has no return policy unless it is defective. Ashley said it could be considered defective if it is emitting too many fumes, but how could I ever prove that.

The lady on the phone said "you're just having an allergic reaction- if you have an allergic reaction to a cat it doesn't make the cat defective." But I have NEVER had a reaction to any piece of furniture like this EVER IN MY LIFE!!!

And I actually am allergic to cats and I know what that feels like, itchy eyes, runny nose.This is not like an allergy, this is like a toxic shock to my entire system.

Review about: Ashley Furniture Sofa.

Comments

Ever since my husband and I bought our Ashley furniture he has been to every dr out there for his itchy painful eyes.No allergies.

We started taking out stuff we had bought which is all Ashley furniture and that is the only way he is getting any better. Our whole household is Ashley.

Ugh.We are out tons of money.

i had the same thing happen to me with a city furniture couch ...same thing only they gave me a credit in their store of $300 which i did not want ...

I wanted my $2000 dollars back... they told me I could get a different couch . I asked if they would guarantee no smell, they could not so I said no. I have refused for two years to sit on that couch because of the nausea and headaches.

We bought a couch from Laz Z boy although expensive , i asked is they could guarantee no smell and they said yes no smell we do not use fire retardants in their products.Happy to say they were right!!

I have had my leather recliner several months and I couldn’t figure out what was smelling in my house. It’s the darn recliner. Does Ashley furniture do anything about this problem, any luck with refunds?

to Rose g #1439367

I'm trying to remember, I think we returned it but lost a hefty restocking fee, and had to pay delivery to get it back to the store.It was worth it to get rid of it though.

Bought a Dylan Durablend recliner from local furniture outlet & it smells like vinyl drenched in kerosine!!!!!!!!I am in my 40s & bought A LOT of furniture in my life time!

I have NEVER had a piece of furniture smell toxic past a couple of hours after off gassing.I have had this for WEEKS now & even sit it out on my screened porch all day to no avail.

Still smells as strongly toxic as it did when I first opened it!!!! I have now removed it from inside my house & the air still reeks of it even with my ceiling fan directly over where it was on high & all of my windows open!

This smell got into my clothes & skin & gave me severe headaches, made my nose develop swollen turbinates, & chronic cough from lingering in my head & chest. Also, made my whole family lethargic immediately upon bringing it in (took us awhile to piece that connection together) This was manufactured in 2017 & carried the California label banning flame retardants from the 2015 law. So, trying to figure out why SOOOOO toxic!

Shows made in USA with imported parts.

Store refused to take it back & Ashley continues to refuse & acknowledge this as a problem at all.Will NEVER buy an Ashley piece ever again!!!!!

Just for the record, the chair I was replacing was a Simmons Harbortown from Big Lots that was very cheap, but even it did not smell toxic like this chair, but it did end up peeling after about 3 years, which is OK for what I paid for it.Hope we all get our health back after getting this chemical junk piece out of the house!

My wife and I had a similar experience.We purchased a wood desk for my home office and a wood bookshelf for hers.

I assembled the desk for my office last week and it produced a strong wood stain like smell that made me feel sick to my stomach with a headache.

I felt better when I stayed out of that room for a day or two.The next week we assembled her bookshelf in her office and she experienced the same symptoms.

I'm posting this on any blogs related to Ashley Furniture.DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS "DECEPTIVE PRACTICES" COMPANY!

We purchased an expensive recliner from them -NEVER were told of their NO RETURN policy and it's not in their 1 page contract.

The chair has been outgassing since it was left here several weeks ago. It has not lessened. The rude response from the salespeople has only served to compel me to alert others. I told them of my reactions to many chemicals and they told me there is NO leakage of odor --they've never received a complaint from other customers!

I have been having symptoms since the day the chair was delivered (dizziness,stuffy nose, bleeding). There was NO paperwork given to me -they claim they have absolutely NONE. There are NO labels on or underneath the recliner. They refuse to take the chair back, and refuse to offer some printed statement of how to clean or 'de-gas' their product.

Evil people.Shame on anyone who works for them.

I experienced the same with an Ashley Furniture Bedroom set.Made me horribly sick, when I would leave my house or travel with work I would get better, then would get sick after the first night back in my house.

Ashley Furniture told me that they would not take the furniture back, no refunds. Who does business this way? I am confident there are toxic chemicals and materials used in their furniture. They source all furniture from Vietnam who's standards are not the same as US standards for product safety.

Do not buy furniture from this company.Protect yourself and your family.

to Ron #1451998

Ashley sources from Vietnam but all product is still supposed to meet a strict quality standard.Most Ashley furniture are franchise though.

If they are refusing to work with you it is a franchise fault not the corporate.Different franchise will have unfortunately different views how to serve guests.

This smell is making me dizzy, watery eyes, drousyness and I feel useless.Ashley just tells me they will not take it back but they will exchange only.

This need to be investigated by professionals. Now all I can do is eat the amount I paid for.

I have sent a complaint to consumer affairs, I'll see what they can do or say.I will be boycotting Ashley Furniture.

to Mike #1420915

I have the same issue. I am waiting for someone from the Service company to come smell my furniture! It’s called “off gassing” and is very toxic and dangerous!!

I went through the EXACT same thing with a durablend sectional.I was so sick and the smell was awful.

I hated being in my own home and I refused to sit on the sectional. After 9 very long months I finally got my local store to take this garbage back. The store sent someone out to my home who validated the smell.

I will NEVER EVER EVER purchase from this store again.I purchased the set in Sept '16 and returned it in Jul '17.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem I've been sick now for eight months ⁿ it all started when I bought the new furniture and I am getting a doctor to currently work on and prove this and once I do they're either going to give me a piece of furniture without it of equal value or have to give me the money back

Chino Hills, California, United States #1327323

bought 1 sofa and 2 accent chairs from Ashely in May 2016, now after almost one year they still produce strong smell.

We went to Ashely store for complaints.

The manager refused to return or exchange. Reasons:1 the sofa was in my home for nearly 1 year. although they were still within warranty, smell were not covered by warranty.2 the technician went to check saying no smell. He keeped saying 1 year was too long, so they could do nothing.But long time only means that the smell issue was even more serious.

They only keep blaming customer, but the root cause is the poor quality of their products.It is their products causing the smell, not us!!!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States #1272091

Just purchased a sofa and love seat made of microfiber from Ashley furniture.

Ever since I moved in to my apt., I'm having major allergies and respiratory problems.

I can't live like this with it being so toxic.

Planning to call them today.

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States #1207958

We purchased a sofa and love seat in 2009 from Ashley Furniture.Even as the years went by we all had headaches, I was wheezing and coughing whenever sitting on the sofa or the love seat.

My son developed hives and wheezing when he touched the sofa and it had this chemical smell off gassing, all the time!!! We got rid of the set, the company (Ashley Firniture) offered us to replace the set, however, given the history of their toxic furniture we declined their offer.

They refused to give money back or any other deals.I want to speak out because seeing my child break out in hives and wheezing from a piece of furniture was absolutely horrible!!!!

to Anonymous #1388474

I️ just received our couch and love seat on Sunday morning around 9am and around 12:00pm my 5-yr Old son started breaking out in hives.It for so bad I️ ended up taking him to the ER Sunday night.

He slept fine that night after the huge dosage of Benadryl was given to him, but still woke up the next morning with big, red welts.

As soon as he went into our living room the hives started coming back.When I took him to his pediatrician today he was fine and as soon as we returned home to the living room the hives came back worse than ever.

I purchase several sets of Ashley furniture too and have the same issue. They smell bad even though I keep opening my windows most of the time to ensure air ventilation for about a year. Yesterday I just put a formaldehyde testing kit in one of the drawer of my set of alisdair, and it indicats that the formaldehyde concentration is FIVE times higher than the legitimate level (0.5mg/cubic) meter!

to Anonymous Wichita, Kansas, United States #1212882

Talk to a attorney.

Redding, California, United States #1030988

It's apparent that this site may be controlled by those affiliated with Ashley in some way, interesting to see comments posted that have been altered and or deleted!!