Ashley Furniture, PEELING LEATHER?!?!

Below is my complete Better Business Bureau complaint,so you know the whole story.

COMPLAINT ACTIVITY REPORT Case # 91065218 BetterBusiness Bureau of Metropolitan Dallas, Inc.

Business Info: Ashley Furniture Home Store, Frisco, TX75034

Consumer's Original Complaint Please HELP ME!! Ipurchased a whole leather living room set from ASHLEYHOME STORE IN FRISCO on February 19, 2007. I alsopurchased the 5 year warranty. It was delivered to meon March 5th 2007. What I have is a leather recliningsofa, reclining leather love seat and leather rockerrecliner, all the same brand & material.

We have had no problems until this past week. Ourfurniture is PEELING, yes peeling. The salesmanassured me that it was 100% leather wherever ourbodies touched. I wasn't aware that genuine leatherwas supposed to PEEL, it just flakes off. It lookshorrible and it's only 9 months old!par Yesterday Icalled the insurance people and they basically told methat 'peeling' was specifically not covered, althoughstabbing with a knife was. So if I stab my couch'accidentally' they will fix it for free for 5 yearsbut since it is DEFECTIVE and PEELING it is notcovered.

I then called the Ashley Home Store where I purchasedthe furniture and asked to speak to the manager, theyasked why and I explained my problem to them. Theythen said that I would have to let a customer serviceperson know and they would take care of my problem. Iwent through the whole speech with the customerservice lady and she explained that they would behappy to come and look at my defective furniture andsee what, if anything, needed to be done about it. Iwas very upset and asked if I could just get my moneyback (since it's already paid in full) or exchange itfor some other type of REAL LEATHER furniture in theirstore. They then told me that they would 'repair' anydefective furniture or replace the cushion for up toone year then after that I am on my own. They saidthat peeling leather is not uncommon.par I have hadanother leather couch (which I still own) and it hasnever peeled, and my children were small back then andjumped all over the couch!

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS, I just want to get my moneyback and go someplace that sells REAL LEATHERFURNITURE and will back their warranty if it isdefective! THANKS SO MUCH

Product: Sonoma Brown Reclining Sofa Item#4660388$649.76Sonoma Brown Reclining Loveseat Item#4660325 $622.40Sonoma Brown Rocker Recliner Item#4660325 $369.335 Year Premier Warranty $79.00Sales Tax $158.36Delivery $199.99

Customer ID#MAXWJ54513Sales #02197070019Purchase Date Feb 19, 2007Delivery Date March 9, 2007Sales Rep#HD93430Problem first seen Jan 1 2008

Consumer's Desired Resolution: I shopped manyfurniture stores and decided on Ashley because of thecustomer service. Since I was told when I purchasedthis furniture that it was real leather, I assumed itwas real leather. When my hard earned money was spenton that, I was hoping to keep it for many years and Iexpected it to hold up and look nice the entire timelike my other furniture has. Since the customerservice person said that they wouldn't let me exchangeit for another brand that was 100% leather, and Irequested a refund and they denied that. I wouldrather not hassle with it any longer and be able toget my money back and purchase REAL LEATHER furnitureelsewhere as soon as possible so I can enjoy what Ihave and not be embarassed to show people my cheapimitation leather furniture. I would like a 100%refund as soon as this can be resolved, I do not wantit 'repaired'

Today is January 11th, the Ashley Technician just leftmy house. He immediately saw the problem and thenstarted PEELING back more of the leather. Now there isa huge 2-3 inch spot that is totally peeled away. Hewas VERY friendly and very insightful. He told me thathe could replace the one cushion and the other 8 or sospots that are peeling he could 'paint' them when herepaired the cushion. He said that my PAINT wasPEELING off of my leather. I wasn't aware that leatherwas painted. When I showed him other pieces of leatherfurniture that I own that haven't ever peeled (butshow wear) he let me know that furniture isn't madethe same way it used to be. He said that in the pastthings had better quality and held up better.

I also told him of the extended warranty that Ipurchased that was good for 5 years, but did NOT coverpeeling leather. I told him that didn't understand whyit didn't cover that and why the manufacturer onlycovered peeling leather for one year. If it peels, itshould be replaced or refunded no matter how long youhave had it!

I expressed how unsatisfied that I was with theproduct and asked if I could just get a refund andpurchase quality furniture from a business that stoodbehind their product. He replied no, that Ashleydoesn't give refunds anymore. I asked him if he hadANY Ashley Furniture in his home, he replied NO MAAM,I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OF THAT FURNITURE IN MY HOME. WhenI asked why, he said that it wasn't good quality. Thatis pretty sad when your own employee says that aboutyour products! I need to get this resolved, as I don'twant a couch with an orange circle on it in my familyroom.

After hearing the technicians advice and knowledge itmade me wonder why anyone does business with AshleyFurniture. I know one thing, I will not be back. Theyneed to have higher standards and make sure theircustomers are HAPPY, then they would have a greatreferrals and repeat customers.

01/25/2008 BBB MORE INFO RECEIVED FROM THE CONSUMER: I thought about it and after the ASHLEY FURNITURErepairman told me that he would NOT have ASHLEYFURNITURE in his own home because it had POOR QUALITY,the more infuriated I am that they won't refund mymoney. There are NUMEROUS reports online of otherpeople with the same problem with ASHLEY FURNITURE aswell. They don't stand behind their products and justwant to 'patch' the problem instead of make their socalled 'customers' happy. I wonder if the manager ofthe Frisco store would be ok with me bringing myPEELING FAKE LEATHER couch to the entrance of hisstore, and sat on it with my children and passed outflyers with my receipt (that shows the date ofpurchase to prove it's less than a year old and apiece of ***) along with photos of all of the peelingleather on numerous places on my couch to potentialnew victims? Maybe that would open their eyes and atthe same time SHOW PEOPLE WHAT POOR QUALITY ASHLEYFURNITURE IS!

2/13/08 I received a small package at my doorstep andwhen I opened it, there was a piece of pleather waddedup in a bag. I'm assuming this is the piece they willattempt to 'repair'.

I called A OK Repair group as soon as they opened tolet them know that I got the piece and to coordinatethe repair, since I've already missed work twice andwill miss again Monday for the RIP to be repaired, Iwould like to have the other piece fixed at the sametime. They told me it shouldn't be a problem, thatthey could fix it, but to call my warranty program andlet them know to add it to the 'work order'.I then called the warranty company and explainedeverything. They then told me that they couldn't dothat, they were two seperate companies and all theyhandle is the rips, not the peeling leather. I thenasked WHO I was supposed to contact to get thisresolved, and they replied for me to call the A OKRepair group.

I hate getting the run-around, but it seems that isall I have had lately regarding this mess. I wouldlike a COMPLETE REFUND, this is RIDICULOUS!

Feb 18, 2008 Well, today yet another run around story!AMAZING! The tech from A OK repair group came, aspromised. This is the THIRD time so far I have had to*** of work for this horrible piece of furniture,and yet the saga continues. He said he COULD NOTrepair the peeling leather (which I assumed he would)then started taking pictures of the rip in the seam.He said he could not repair it so he would need toorder a replacement part (IMAGINE THAT!) and as soonas it came in, I could make yet ANOTHER appointment toget that section of the piece of JUNK FURNITURE fixed.

SO, now I will have a MINIMUM of FOUR times I mustleave my job for ASHLEY FURNITURE TO ATTEMPT to repairtheir defective furniture. My job is on the line now,I can't imagine what it will be like when I tell themI need to *** at LEAST two more times for this!DO YOU KNOW OF ANY PLACES OF BUSINESS THAT ALLOWSTHEIR EMPLOYEES TO *** OF WORK SIX TIMES IN LESSTHAN TWO MONTHS? I sure don't.

AGAIN, I BEG, I NEED MY MONEY BACK ASAP to end thishorror story and get my life back. My husband hascalled TOM from the FRISCO store and left THREEMESSAGES NOW and he has yet to return any calls,IMAGINE THAT! This is totally ridiculous and horriblecustomer service and I tell AND SHOW everyone I knowmy furniture and tell them the horrible way I havebeen treated, all of the run around I have had and letthem decide for themselves where they want to shop!HELP ME PLEASE!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 55 Yes 55 94 No 94
Had the same issue 31 Yes 31
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 06 #1107529

the something is happening to me with PEELING LEATHER

Jan 10 #1091924

Same peeling durablend issue.

Sep 24, 2015 #1038604 Thorsby, Alabama

Ditto, ditto, ditto & ditto. I have the same problem with my Ashley (leather????) furniture. Ashley's warranties like so many other manufacturer's warranties of foreign made consumer goods, is not worth the paper it's written on. I have had to learn the hard way that a warranty is only as good as the person or business that you hand your hard earned money to at time of purchase, not the manufacturer.

3 0 Reply

Aug 20, 2015 #1022116

I have the same problem. This furniture is junk!

3 0 Reply

Apr 16, 2015 #972509

This is my story. Even from the waded up bag. Exactly what they have said to you. Do they have a script they teach these people? have no idea how exactly the same our stories are!!

Apr 16, 2015 #972502

Oh my gosh! This is my story. I was even told to stab mine or spill fingernail polish remover on it. After a social media frenzy bcause I was getting nowhere with customer service, they decided to replace all the cushions. The recliners are ripping apart in the same locations. So today I get one of the cushions from UPS. It has to small holes punched in it from the factory. When reclined these holes get larger and rip the furniture. I am working w the BBB and Attorney General. I will never ever purchase another thing. I too wanted a refund but they wont budge. :(

piss off in ohio

Jan 01, 2015 #923844

Same problem peeling sectional
Ashley sent out replacement cover but wanted to charge to put in on. buy the time we received the replacement piece it started peeling some where else

Apr 16, 2015 #972503

Same story as mine.

Jul 02, 2014 #834811

Did any of you condition your leather furniture to prevent it from cracking/peeling? 99.9% of all real leather furniture needs to be conditioned to prevent that from happening and should be done atleast once a year.

Dec 30, 2013 #766171 Saint John's, Newfoundland And Labrador

This is unbelievable. We bought sofa and recliner at Atlantic Home Furnishing in St. John's, NL. We were told the same thing that part of the furniture was real leather. Our recliner now is not fit to look at. It is just over 15 months old. I returned to Atlantic Home Furnishing in St. John's today to see what can be done. I immediately was told that the warranty is 1 year. They can order the part to be repaired.......but I would have to pay for the repair approximately $150 - $200 myself. If part not available, they would have someone come in and paint the tears. I said "paint". I can patch it up myself with a marker pen.. I don't want a repair job, I want a new chair or a refund. I explained that this is not good enough. I tried to show pictures but they wouldn't even look at them. Immediately the sales person said he could give me the 1-800 number to the manufacturer. I said we were told that this was real leather. They both then said that it is not actually real leather but a mixture. This is totally rediculous. I said we had a leather chesterfield prior to buying this one and it lasted about 15 years....true. It was in perfect condition when we sold it, and we also had children then jumping around. The sales person said yeah but they are not being made the same way today. Well why weren't we told that before we purchased it. We put alot of time in trying to purchase a good product and the sales person was quite confident in his recommendation of... Show more

Dec 23, 2013 #763075

I have had the exact same problem with my "Genuwine Leather" recliner I bought a year ago. The "leather" is peeling off to reveal a fabric underneath. I am so frustrated with this recliner and having to vacuum my house on a daily basis just to get the flakes. I dont/cant just throw out a $300 recliner, its perfectly new. I cant believe they can advertise lies like this. They wont do anything to fix it, so I might just toss it on their doorstep or maybe get it reupholstered... :(

Joe Green

Nov 05, 2013 #738380 Orlando, Florida

None of the stores selling this *** leather will refund, repair or do anything to correct the peeling and flaking everyone is experiencing yet they continue selling this junk. Don't blame the stores, blame the real problem which is how the consumers are being screwed over by every store selling this ***. It's time for a class action law suit. I'm going to contact an attorney tomorrow and see what our options are. I'm confident we are going to prevail. I can't believe the stores continue to sell this junk knowing it is defective and :( falls apart.

4 1 Reply

Jun 23, 2014 #831118 Marengo, Illinois

My so called leather peeled in three months. A suit sounds good to mee.

Apr 16, 2015 #972504

Count me in. Same here.

Sep 24, 2015 #1038691

Ashleys manufacturers their own furniture. :( I went to the source.
After months....I got a refund.
It took going into the store and talking to the VP!
Customer service should have been on their toes when a customer has an issue. They dropped the ball.
Lesson learned though, I will never ever ever again shop there. I will do my homework! Glad it is over. :(

Joe Green

Nov 05, 2013 #738376 Orlando, Florida

It is not just that store. This defective Chinese fabricated FAKE leather is being sold all over the country by very "reputable" furniture stores and companies, and they are doing nothing about it. There needs to be a national recall and we need to all rally together, and bring a law suit on the sellers of this junk leather that just peels apart. Thousands of people are being screwed over and nothing is being done about, while this product is still being sold everywhere. It's time we take this to the next level and get this problem taken care of before any more people get screwed over like we did. :(

Mar 18, 2013 #624805

I purchased 2 Ashley reclinig leather chairs with ottomans. They all peeled after 10 mths of sercice. No children in household. The peeling is because they use "BONDED" leather. It's real leather alright, but it's shaved leather. It's real *** and does not hold up, but the sales people tell you it's real leather and they are not lying. Don't buy bonded leather!

Apr 16, 2015 #972505

I was lead to believe this is leather. :(

Feb 07, 2013 #605461

Ashley never sells genuine leather furniture. All their advertised leather is junk. they just dupe people into buying their junk.

1-20 of 100 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.