Pineville, North Carolina

I purchased my sofa and love seat just under 4 years ago and when I did, I also purchased the 5 yr warranty plan they offer for $169.00.

A couple of months ago, a cover for the love seat cushion ripped and we were unable to zip the cover back up. I called the warranty company, they processed the claim and told me it would be 4-6 weeks before I received my cover. 3 weeks later, I received an email from the warranty company to call them. When I did, I was told that Ashley Furniture is refusing to ship my product as I have moved out of the region. (I moved to Washington DC a month after I purchased the furniture). At this point they offered to refund the full amount of the warranty, but I declined.

I called Ashley in Pineville and they explained that they would have no problem shipping me cover, but the line of furniture I have has been discontinued and they do not have any extra parts. They sent me to customer care, who also stated that there was nothing they could do and they would refund the whole amount of the warranty and I again declined.

The next day, I wrote a report to the local BBB. Customer Care contacted me again and tried to work out a solution to the issue. I requested that either they replace they item that is damaged or provide me a full refund of the product. They again refused and this time told me, because I was out of their region, the warranty was null and void. When I explained that I have already fixed the cover by taking it to a local upholster, they at first refused to reimburse me for anything, but finally agreed to the cost of the repair, millage and a small additional amount for my time.

Then the other day, I came across all of my paperwork from the purchase of the sofa and loveseat. I started reading the contract and noticed that it does not say anything about the contract being void should the purchaser move out of the region. It does state that is damage occurs outside of the US, including District of Columbia, the warranty would be void. It also states, if the warranty company is unable to fix the item, that the full purchase price will be refunded or a substitute item will be granted.

I again called the warranty company and after a long conversation, they agreed to refund the full amount for the loveseat. I then called Customer Care and informed them that I did not appreciate being lied to. The agent told me that the warranty is void if the furniture is moved from the address that it was delivered to. (Complete opposite as to what I was told before) I explained, that the furniture was NOT delivered and that I picked it up from their warehouse. After the 5 seconds of silence, she just continued to say that because I moved, the warranty is void.

I have read the contract 3 times now and nothing states this. Should you have a problem, do not allow them to lie to you. They should not be selling this warranty product if they know they will not be able to fulfill a request should something happen.

I called and left a message for the store manager to call me back. She never did and instead sent the message over to the customer care team

Product or Service Mentioned: Ashley Furniture Sofa.

Preferred solution: For the store manager to call me back and explain why she did not think she needed to in the first place. I will continue to place these reviews on as many websites as I can find, until I do receive a call back.

Ashley Furniture Cons: Manager representation, Call hold times 45 mins without satisfaction, Sales associate.

Comments