Falls Church, Virginia

We moved to VA and I bought $5000 of living room furniture from Ashley furniture store in Alexandria. The center table had a really long wait time so I got all the other furniture delivered and agreed to pick up the center table.

Once it is available I went to pick it up and the STORE MANAGER had to find the item as delivery staff was not available. We were at the back of the store and once he found the box and brought it near the ramp and helped my father and brother to load it to the minivan. The ramp was 4ft tall and a lady who was standing there gave me two papers to sign. I signed the papers and took the box and went home.

When we went home I opened the box inside the car to take the pieces inside to find that the table frame was cracked and broken. So I called the store immediately to inform that and they asked me to call the head office. When I called the head office they told me that I signed a paper stating that I inspected furniture to ensure it is not broken. The store manager who delivered the box to me didn’t say anything about inspecting the item and I thought I singed the papers to accept the goods.

Well, they said they are not going to do anything because it is my fault that I didn’t read the papers I signed.

I also bought the protection plan for the furniture so I thought it could help me to fix it, to find ABSOLUTLY NOTHING is covered in the protection plan. There is a fine print for all sorts of exclusions for types of damage in the protection plan.

Bottom line is I have a broken center table that I paid $400.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ashley Furniture Table.

• Ashley furniture protection plan