Calgary, Alberta

We went to Ashley Furniture in Heritage, Calgary, AB to buy a full bed set for our 4 years old boy. We bought bed, mattress set (including box spring) and because of the insistent recommendation of the salesman, a cover for the mattress as "kids will have accidents and they will spill things" which sounded reasonable.

Some weeks later, their warehouse called to advise our order was ready for pick up. We go there and they quickly let us know they don't have the cover mattress. But that's ok, we will pick it up from the store then or ultimately get it some place else. So we go to the store, ask for the cover and they say they don't have it and they would be happy to call us when it becomes available.

I said to the cashier, well, I really don't wish to wait for that undefined period of time, so lets just cancel the cover that I really can get anywhere else, is just a piece of bedding. She quickly replied that then the warranty of the mattress will be fully void, to which we said Ahhhh?! So I said, hummm, we don't want that do we, so let's go ahead and cancel the order for the mattress all together as I can not have a fully new, just picked piece of furniture with no warranty because of the lack of a cover that Ashley Furniture sells but don't deliver. And then she says (Oh yes, she had a memorized response for EVERYTHING): Oh, I highly doubt my manager will allow the return of a mattress.

I ask for the manager, who basically comes to repeat to the beat everything the lady just said. And I say, the mattress has just been picked up, is in my car in its original packaging, YOU don't have the cover that I now find out makes a vital part of the warranty(vital as in, buy it or the warranty is VOID) and is not just a suggestion to keep it stain free). So now he says, we will take the mattress back with a 25% re-stocking fee (which he quickly points out is part of the terms and conditions on that invoice we signed), you are responsible to take it back to the warehouse, and then come back for your partial refund. AND by the way, is not that the warranty is fully void, is just that you lose the warranty against stains, and the warranty for the mattress is just 1 year and not 10 years.

Long story short: I go to the mattress manufacturer: Sealy Canada website and found that there is no such thing as a warranty for stains. Stains of any type are actually not even part of the warranty. This store uses the deceiving speech of the "warranty" to sell you additional stuff or to keep you from cancelling an order based on a warranty that doesn't even exists.

That has a name and is Unfair Trade Practices, SCAM and Fraud. Shame on you.

Comments