Im having an issue with off gassing from my Burkesville "Hamlyn" dresser and night stand? (Made overseas!!) Has anyone else had this problem? The furniture has been in my home for well over a year. When the furniture was originally delivered, I could smell something strange!!! It was almost like an extremely dirty, musty sour smell.. I did open the windows and let it air out for a week or so and the smell was less noticeable. The furniture is for my extra bedroom.. I do not sleep in this room and keep the door closed most of the time. I do have a sewing machine in the room that I sometimes use. Every time I would sew my eyes would burn and water.. Just thought it was tired eyes!!!
Then my husband fell, he fractured his back and required surgery.. As my husband healed, I stayed with my daughter for 2 months to be closer to the hospital. I would only return home to pick up mail and so on. The house stayed locked up during this time. After being released we took my husband home and my daughter came to stay for his recovery. She began sleeping in the spare room and right away had severe headaches!! On the first night she complained about the strange smell, so we completely cleaned and aired out room. We used lemon oil on the furniture and placed boxes of baking soda around the room.... Nothing helped!!!! She kept the windows open, but still had headaches, dry eyes, dry mouth and trouble breathing!!! Needless to say she moved to the couch and we closed the door. We began calling Ashley furniture and still don't have a solution... Because I've had the furniture for over a year the warranty is gone! I do understand the store policy, but I was only hoping to exchange for something useful. I can't afford to throw this furniture out nor would I sell to someone else.. I have a conscious and could not stand the fact that I exposed someone to this toxic mess! We've called and spoke to the manager over and over.. He is a great guy and has been extremely nice to us...BUT nothing has been done!!!
I can't believe out of all the pieces of furniture sold this was the only set with toxic off gassing fumes!!! This extra room is now useless for my family and friends... I think there should be a law against distribution of furniture containing toxic material. Where is the EPA when you need them???
Please, please share if you've had any of the same problems. Thanks
Product or Service Mentioned: Ashley Furniture Manager.
Monetary Loss: $1500.